I haven’t filed U.S. taxes for years. Do I need to prepare a return for every year I have not filed?

By November 8, 2018

First, if you are a non-resident tax filer and behind on your taxes, we highly recommend that you start the filing process immediately. FATCA and the fact new international information sharing agreements in place have made it much easier and faster for the U.S. Treasury Department to get financial records for individuals and organizations overseas. This means that it is likely the IRS will try to contact you before you reach out to them.

Your next decision is how many years for which you need to prepare your tax returns.The number of years to file will depend on the facts and circumstances of your particular situation, and our tax professionals will be happy to review your situation and recommend possible courses of action (i.e. we can review your situation to test eligibility for Streamlined Filing Procedures, in which case only past 3 years of back filing tax returns and 6 years of FBAR are required).

Expat Tax

About Expat Tax

We are a group of experienced US CPAs and Enrolled Agents working specifically with Americans (and green card holders) living and working abroad. Our Mission: To provide personable, efficient, and fully compliant tax filing services while maximizing tax savings.

Comment on this FAQ