If I have not filed federal tax returns for several years, will I have to pay any penalties when filing?

By November 8, 2018

Not necessarily. If you have not filed and do not have any taxable income (e.g. under the threshold of the Foreign Income Exclusion for all tax years), then neither penalties nor interest will be applied. If you do owe tax, then you may be eligible for the Streamlined Foreign Offshore Procedures, under which you would be able to avoid non filing and/or late filing penalties. You would then only have to file for three years (but you would still owe interest on any unpaid tax).

Expat Tax

About Expat Tax

We are a group of experienced US CPAs and Enrolled Agents working specifically with Americans (and green card holders) living and working abroad. Our Mission: To provide personable, efficient, and fully compliant tax filing services while maximizing tax savings.

Comment on this FAQ