If I qualify as a non-resident American and I file in my country of residence, am I still required to file a tax return in the U.S.?

By November 8, 2018

Yes. Regardless of your residential status, you are required to file annual tax returns in the U.S. However, depending on your situation, you may be eligible for foreign tax credits, partial foreign income exemption, etc. In summary, if you have foreign source income that is taxed in both the foreign country and the US, you may use the foreign tax paid to calculate a credit against the US tax charged on such income. Foreign tax credit calculation is a complicated process. You should seek professional help on this issue.

Expat Tax

About Expat Tax

We are a group of experienced US CPAs and Enrolled Agents working specifically with Americans (and green card holders) living and working abroad. Our Mission: To provide personable, efficient, and fully compliant tax filing services while maximizing tax savings.

Comment on this FAQ